Your vision board is up, and it's filled with some of your loftiest business dreams and goals as a woman in 2019. The question is, how exactly can you turn those dream ideas into real, winning ones?
Research shows that only 8% of people end up achieving their goals.
That's right - eight percent.
The truth is, a vision is nothing but a dream that's lacking feet. So, if you're serious about turning 2019 into a successful year of dreams fulfilled, not dreams deferred now is a great time to tap into the advice of Brooklyn Congresswoman Yvette Clarke.
Here are a few words of wisdom for female entrepreneurs from Congresswoman Yvette Clarke, which she shared at a recent annual Success Supper. The point of the dinner is to celebrate and recognize women who exude grace, demonstrate fortitude and positively impact their communities.
Let's get started!
1. Congresswoman Yvette Clarke: "Stay focused enough [on your] own goals and aspirations."
Keep your eyes on the prize -- on your unique aspirations and goals.
The truth is, it's easy to get sidetracked if you're always listening to other people's external voices instead of your inner voice. You know what you want, better than anyone else. So allow that to be your guiding light when you get out of bed each morning.
2. "It’s important for us to stay true to ourselves. Not everyone is going to be out here [protesting] in the street, but some folk may fund the movement. Not everyone is going to be the person who is going to be out front, but every leader is building an organization of support.”
One of the biggest mistakes that people make is not staying true to themselves.
For example, when it comes to tackling political issues, not everybody will be comfortable with protesting on the street. However, those who don't want to protest can still fund the movement at hand.
It's okay if you're not the type of person who enjoys being out front. The most important thing is that you're active, fighting for what you believe in. And that's true in both the political world and the business world.
Also, build a strong organization of supporters. They'll give you the fuel you need to keep pressing on toward your goal.
3. “Always trust in yourself and your abilities. Be self-aware, because understanding yourself helps you to improve your leadership.”
One of the biggest challenges that people have is believing in themselves.
However, never doubt your abilities. The more you understand yourself and what you're capable of, the better you'll be as an entrepreneur and leader.
4. “We’re not using our influence. Were very influential. As a matter of fact, there is not a popular trend that’s been started that we have not been at the heart of.”
A major mistake that aspiring entrepreneurs make is not using their influence.
Believe it or not, you are very influential. So, use your platform for good. The more you realize how influential you are, the more driven you'll be to achieve your big-picture dream.
5. “It’s about the circles you’re in, your network. We have to ask ourselves, who is in our network? The challenge for our community is not one of worth; it’s one of trust. Because we’re spending money every day how much of those dollars do you spend with black entrepreneurs?”
If you're going around in circles as a new entrepreneur, perhaps you should check who all is in your circle.
Can you trust everybody in your network?
Be sure to surround yourself with people who will make your journey to the finish line easier, not harder. And remember, not everyone you come across in your life -- whether in the business setting or even in your own family -- deserves a seat at the table.
How We Can Help
In addition to providing encouraging words from influential leaders like Congresswoman Yvette Clarke, we partner with leading foundations, organizations, venture funds and incubators in the United States to support today's women, black and brown startup founders.
If you've got talent, we're passionate about helping you to gain access to the financial capital, knowledge capital and social capital you need.
Contact us to find out more about how we can help you to realize your business dream in 2019.